Sunday, January 07, 2007

'Twas the night before...

OK, this is a big day. Firstly I should say a big sorry to those of you whom I should have contacted before now to say that yes, we are back in Singapore, yes we had a nice Christmas and yes we are all well. BUT, there have been bigger fish to fry. Issues to mull. Eyeballs to laser. Whatever.
The point is, this is the last time that I will be writing this blog while wearing glasses. Yes…tomorrow I get my first round of optical laser surgery!!!! Yaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!
For those of you who may not realise it, I have wanted to get my eyes lasered for years and years and years, but the cost has always been a big hurdle. However my Dad very generously offered to pay for me to get it done as a Christmas present, so I hurriedly phoned around in the week we had before heading off to Holland in December and found the best clinic here.
Last Monday I spent 5 hours at the Jerry Tan Eye Clinic (http://www.jerrytan.com) being assessed and tomorrow morning, at 9 pm, my left eye will be surgically corrected from short-sightedness using Wave Front Guided Customised Lasik surgery, hopefully forever. In a couple of weeks I’ll get the right eye done. (In case you are wondering I will wear one contact lens in the meantime). There are good reasons for doing your eyes one at a time, the main one being the surgeon can carefully monitor how the first eye heals, and depending on the result after a few weeks when healing is complete, can fine-tune surgery for the other eye accordingly. This gives the best possible chance of achieving 20/20 vision or better, as everybody heals differently and it may be best to over or under correct the second eye to achieve the ideal result.
In the mean time I am just about bursting with anticipation. Dad and Maureen are leaving here late tomorrow night so we have just managed to squeeze all of this in while they are here to look after the kids for the day. And pay of course.
So I’’ll keep you updated. From tomorrow we will be visitor free for a significant period for the first time since October, so I’ll also have more time to focus on my blog which has been sorely neglected, at a time when there has just been so much to say. Never fear, I’m prepared to wax lyrical for as long as anybody out there is prepared to read it.
Well I’ll blog again soon, next time will be as someone with much better vision – at least in one eye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

unless you become blind as a bat.....