Sunday, January 28, 2007

Bookclub

One of the things I miss most here in Singapore is my bookclub. Way backing 2001 a few friends and I started up a bookclub which meets ten times a year. Six years on, four of the original founding members are still going strong.
Usually there are about 6 or 7 of us, and we take turns to pick the book, and to host the meetings. Over some wine and yummy snacks everything and anything is fair game for discussion, including – eventually – the book of the month. I think it’s safe to say that it’s a highlight of all of our social calendars. Last December, during our brief visit back to Holland, I was really chuffed when the club organised a meeting over dinner so we could all get together again. What great fun catching up with everyone!
We were also lucky enough to see more of Fran’s original writing, this time in the form of a poem written in honour of the bookclub which she included in her beautiful hand-made Christmas cards.

Book Club Friends by Fran Oosterbaan – Clarke

It occurred to me the other night,
As I lay in my bed,
That all my friends, and folk I know,
Are like the books I’ve read.

You never know what is inside,
By the cover or the title,
Though first impressions mean a lot,
It’s the contents that are vital.

Some give warmth and comfort,
Like a cozy fireside glow,
Some invigorate, and inspire,
And you’re happy just to know.

Some are hard to understand,
And take a lot of trouble,
But every story is unique,
The rewards are often double.

Some are fun, and full of laughs,
Or passion, love and mystery,
But best, a blend of everything,
With just a dash of history.

And so my Christmas wish for you,
“May your shelves be overflowing,
And may your cherished library,
Continue to keep growing.”

No comments: