Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Daily Grind

I’m the first to admit that I love coffee. I mean really LOVE it. Lots of people are fond of the odd cup of brew of course but I really, truly love it.
Hot or cold, iced or steaming, black, latte, sweetened or topped with frothy milk…it’s all delicious as long as it follows the basic rule. Just like sex, coffee should be good, hot and plentiful. I’m not compromising for a quickie out of a dusty jar of Nescafe, if it’s not the real deal I’m not going to enjoy it and certainly not fake that I do. It gives the expression "going through the daily grind" a whole new meaning, doesn't it?
No doubt at least half of my stomach troubles stem from my chronic coffee habit but frankly, I’m willing to put up with a little gastritis if it means I can imbibe enough of the good stuff to make my world a sunnier place.
In the interests of improving my health I did once switch to decaffeinated coffee at work. It seemed like a good idea at the time because my consumption had skyrocketed. All journalists seem to drink a lot of coffee. Whether it’s to help us reach those deadlines faster or make our fingers so jittery that we can type more quickly, whatever the reason the only time I heard my colleagues swear was when the coffee machine was on the blink, necessitating a hike up the fire escape to use the machine upstairs. I spurned those ridiculous single-portion disposable plastic cups and brought my own heavy duty coffee mug, a sturdy beast with a picture of a kiwi in All Black kit and the words “tiny kiwi tuffy’ on the side. I could fit TWO regular cups of coffee in there, and would fill it up at least three times before lunch. Eventually I thought it might not be too healthy so decided to try de-caf.
After a couple of days I began to get worried. I seemed to be going to the loo every half hour. Did I have a bladder infection? What was wrong with me?? Suddenly it clicked. Desperately craving its caffeine fix, my body was making me drink cup after cup of decaf in a fruitless search for that elusive high. I suddenly realised I was drinking the equivalent of NINE CUPS of coffee each morning! De-caf or not, that can’t be good for you. It was time to face up to it: my name is Joanne and I’m a coffee addict. I didn’t go through a seven step program but I did admit defeat and change back to regular coffee, limiting my consumption to two mugs in the morning.
Something I don’t get is the trend for people to have those fancy espresso machines in their homes. Of course the coffee tastes great, I’m sure you’re friends are as impressed as hell when you can turn out a double espresso amidst clouds of steam like a professional barista, but people…it takes forever! Who can wait ten minutes for a single shot of coffee?? Not me, when I need coffee I need it now. Our filter paper is still dripping when I swallow my first mouthful in the morning.
My sister recently bought a beautiful machine which she loves with a passion usually reserved for discreetly hidden toys and iPods. Ironically her hubby doesn’t drink coffee and her kids are too young so you've got to wonder at the strength of her addiction to feel compelled to shell out several hundred dollars on a sleek black and chrome contraption. However I had to text her to let her know when I was on my way so should could start making the coffee when I jumped in the car. By the time I pulled up in the driveway the first cup was nearly ready – and I’d finished it before she’d even started hers. Round two, anyone?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not only esperesso machines (a friend drove to Gorningen to get one!) but those foul Cremeo pads dinges "coffee"makers. Blech blech blech.

I am reading this enjoying my morning coffe made with my little squueze pot, as close to real coffee as you can get without getting the grinds in your mouth.

On the other site, Asley is digging and Rocco is munching.