Thursday, March 29, 2007

Eye'll Be Seeing You...

Yesterday I had my one-month post operative check-up with Dr Jerry Tan, the guy who did the laser surgery on my eyes. I now have “better than perfect” vision in my right eye (equivalent to 20/15, when 20/20 is usually considered ‘perfect’), and 20/20 vision in my left. It means I can read on the eye chart at twenty metres what others can read at fifteen metres. My right eye – the second one fixed – is better than my left, as expected. This is why he insists on waiting at least two weeks between doing each eye: based on how the first eye heals, he can ‘tailor’ the lasering of the second eye to get the best possible result.


It’s absolutely amazing to get up in the morning and not have to put on glasses. I can read the clock at night without squinting, can jump in the car and drive without checking I’ve got my glasses handy, can actually see in the swimming pool – it’s like being born again. It feels fantastic.
If any of you are thinking about getting your eyes lasered, don’t hesitate a moment more – this is one of the best things I have ever done. Check out Jerry’s website for full information: www.jerrytan.com, as there are several different technologies available, even for weird shaped eyeballs like I had with astigmatism, which basically means your eyeballs are more or less football shaped. He even altered the contour of my eyeballs to achieve the best result, as they were an 'abnormal' shape! All without using a knife - the Intralase machine uses a new type of cold laser to create a three-sided flap which is then lifted, and a second laser removes a microscopically thin peice of your cornea to re-shape it to achieve perfect vision.
The best technology such as Jerry uses - Lasik with Intralase - actually corrects pre-existing conditions such as night blindness and glare problems while correcting your vision! The technology has leaped ahead in the past couple of years so the old clichés about it not being permanent or causing glare problems are well and truly a thing of the past, if you choose your surgeon carefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jealousy is an green eyed monster...with brown eyes and an empty purse, big sigh.