Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Did The Earth Move For You?

So there I was this morning, sitting at my laptop writing an article about a valve company in India, when it seems to me that my chair is moving all on its own. Hmmmmm, a little too much coffee perhaps? Then the curtains in the room started swaying slightly. I'll be damned, we're having an earthquake! Suddenly I'm inordinatley pleased that we didn't take that apartment on the 26th floor of a condo overlooking Orchard Road.
With its epicentre in Sumatra the earthquake was about 400 km away so there was no harm done - the most exciting footage the local news stations have been able to come up with was water in a fish tank sloshing slightly. Not exactly gripping stuff.
However spare a thought for the poor souls in Sumatra who have been affected with buildings collapsing and all the tragedy resulting from that. As I am well used to earthquakes - I'm from New Zealand after all - it turns out I was the only one in the family to even notice either the first one or the aftershock half an hour later.
Fortunately according to the news reader, the slight tremor we got today is about as vicious as earthquakes get here. Frankly I was quite pleased to hear this. When it comes to feeling the earth move, I'd rather be a more active (and willing) participant.

No comments: