Thursday, July 16, 2009

Food on the go in Brussels

This week I spent a few days in Brussels at ICONE, the International Conference on Nuclear Energy. It's a huge conference, with over 700 tehcnical papers presented by experts from around the globe, in addition to panel discussions, forums, and networking events.
On the Monday evening after emerging blinking and numbed at the end of a presentation I realised I had about 90 minutes before hte official evening reception would begin. The weather was sunny and it was still early so I did what any sensible woman would do: I went shopping.

Luckily I was staying right in town, just 10 minutes walk from the famous fish market and surrounded by lots of lovely streets. Wandering down the appropriately named Neustraat (New Street) and into the Century2 shopping mall, I had a moment of deja-vu. It was almost like being back in Singapore - this is the first time I've been in a mall since I was on Orchard Road! Ok, this one was smaller, quieter and a little less glitzy than your average Singapore mall but it was close. As hunger pangs knawed at my tummy I searched hopefully for a sushi bar or noodle shop and had to settle for a plate of watery won-ton soup and the worst siew mai pork dumplings I've ever eaten. This definitely was NOT Singapore!

However I did find some nice gifts for the kids, plus some Belgium chocolates for hubby to enjoy. Disappointed by the shoes (expensive) and hand bags (ugly) on offer I decided to call it quits, and spotted this little take-away food stall on the street. I've tried all sorts of take-away food in my time; fish and chips in New Zealand, burgers in the US, croquets in Holland and steamed porked buns in Singapore, but you will never, ever get me to try these take-away snails!

No comments: