Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bonjour from Brussels

Today I´m blogging you from Brussels, captial city of Belgium and a damn fine place to have a meal. That´s about the limit of my observations so far after just a few hours on deck, but I think this place is going to grow on me. It´s my first visit to the EU headquarters and the journey here reinforced how much I love international train travel. I turned up 3 minutes before the train left, didn´t have to endure customs or immigration, and sat reading in comfort with plenty of legroom for the whole journey. People are chattier on trains than planes too: no-one seems too stressed out to say hi and even if you don´t parlez vouz francais hey, this is Europe! - everybody speaks at least some English.

Walking around the central city Brussels lacks some of the architectural charm of Paris but has more space and an equally lovely cafe culture. The big name high street shops give no clue as to ethnicity but the smell of pee in the doorways places you firmly in Europe. This plus the piles of rubbish on the street - I guess Monday morning is rubbish collection - were a little underwhelming but it pays to keep an open mind.

No comments: