Thursday, June 18, 2009

What a screamer

Normally I am not a squeamish person. With the notable exception of cockroaches; after all it was an absolutely horrendous encounter with a monster cockroach which prompted me to start this blog as a cheaper alternative to therapy. But apart from that, spiders and bugs don’t generally freak me out. I still have a photo on my iPhone of a dead spider the boys and I spotted just before leaving Singapore and you have to admit, my naked toes are fearlessly close to its (admittedly dead) form.


However a couple of weeks ago I was rummaging around in the stationary stores at work with Jeanette, moving boxes of envelopes when I had a typically girlie hysterical over-reaction to an innocent spider. Jeanette was standing behind me and as I moved a box she shrieked “AAAAAHHH lookout-lookout-spider-spider-spider!!!!”
Assuming she was just scared of spiders I carried on with a calm “Really, where…”
When suddenly the UBER-SPIDER FROM HELL scuttled across the lid of the box just centimeters from my hand. This behemoth had clearly spent the winter devouring every other spider and insect in the building, had finished off the mice and was now moving human flesh to the top of its menu. Of course I screamed…then Jeanette screamed again….which made me jump and scream even louder…!”
This could have gone on all day but fortunately we realized we were now standing on the other side of the room clutching each other in panic. Two professional women standing in the basement of their workplace shrieking like children at a bug. We cracked up laughing, not only at the silliness of it all but the fact that not a single colleague popped their head out to see who was being murdered in the stationary cupboard. I went back to my office feeling quite silly.



But I am never sticking my hand in that cupboard again...

No comments: