Thursday, May 29, 2008

iPhone-a-say; OH YEAH!

I'm so excited I can hardly sit still! Yes yes yes yes and yes! Before any of you start worrying that this is about to turn into an X rated blog I'll explain.


Isn't it wonderful that after being married for eleven years (tomorrow is our anniversary) hubby can still surprise me? Yesterday evening when he got home I was anxiously waiting to see his reaction when he first laid eyes on my anniverary present for him: a gorgeous lamp which I'd painstakingly picked out on a morning out with a couple of girlfriends to the Dragon Kiln (more on that at a later date). I admit, I was feeling pretty chuffed with having found the perfect gift; it's elegant, arty, utterly gorgeous and will last forever as long as the kids don't knock it over.

After finally getting the kids settled in bed I sat on the sofa with a cup of coffee when hubby strolled past and casually dropped a plastic bag in my lap with a mumbled "here you go". Clearly declarations of (continued) undying love and an eternity of marital bliss are as common as the appearance of wrapping paper and ribbons in the Dutch male culture, but believe me, there are compensations.
Curiously peering into the bag I pulled out a heavy matt-black box, turned it over and it was......AN iPHONE!!!!!!!!!!! Only the most utterly fantastic gadget on the face of the planet which I have been lusting after ever since seeing Phils' at the Beerfest back in 2007. It didn't have anything to do with the amount of beer we'd consumed because these gadgets are just downright sexy. Sleek, stylish, designed for beauty as well as functionality, the iPhone is for me a perfect melding of phone, email, camera, video camera and iPod. It has a 16 GB memory and a 2 megapixel camera. Somewhere in there is also the capacity to download maps and get on-line travelling directions and god knows what else. The large touch screen is simple to use and the technology downright stunning.

By simply touching your finger to the screen you can choose between functions and menus, zoom in and out of photos, literally flick through the albums in your iTunes folder, and physically move picture and maps around by moving your finger over the screen. If you turn it sideways the image flips over so that it's still upright, even if you flip the phone upside down. For a better idea to to the Apple site and click on iPhones for a tour but be warned! Excessive drool is a hazard for your keyboard.

As a non-techie I can't even begin to figure out all the other functions on it without downloading the on-line manual but believe me, I'll be doing that today.



So next time you get a text message from me, you know its been typed out in style. Now I've got to rush; iPhone-a play with my new toy!!!

No comments: