Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Patience

Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to admit I'm not a very patient person. I think I used to be, but maybe that's just my own delusional memory twisting my memories to suit myself. In any case, I can vividly remember in about 2004 when I worked for my former employer, a major publisher with a huge office in Doetinchem, and I passed a colleague on the stairs one day. I worked for the International Department, a relatively small group of about 30 people in a building containing more than 600.  My office was on the fifth floor but I never took the lift; too slow. One lunch time as I ascended a woman I didn't know passed me on the way up, and said something like "hi Joanne...yes I know who you are, you're the one who's always in a hurry!".
Right.
I was pondering my lack of patience last week, the day after hubby left for his first assignment for his new job. Exciting times, starting a new job. I'm thrilled for him that he's doing something new and so interesting, he's excited by the challenge. However he has spent the previous seven (yes SEVEN) weeks at home and to be frank, I was spoilt rotten by having a 'House Bitch' on hand 24/7. I'd become accustomed to going to work and having more or less everything domestic done by the time I'd arrive home. So there I was, taking down the washing in the attic and bemoaning the fact that he uses two (yes TWO!!) pegs for every item of clothes. The waste of time! It's not like there's any wind inside, why not just use one! I could save at least 30 seconds on each load of washing! I know, trivial stuff unless you've got a really busy day. And you're really impatient. Like me.
This was all brought into painful perspective for me yesterday when, rushing to get the kids ready for school and myself ready for work by 8:15, I asked Niels to hang up the washing for me while I took a shower. He's never done it before so I gave the briefest (time effcient!) explanation then left him to it. I had my usual 3 minute shower, dressed in 2 minutes, almost ready to go. I called up the stairs: "Niels, are you still up there?"
"Yeeeeeeees" was the drawn out answer.
I joined him in the attic to find him half way thru the wash. Facing me with a damp towel in his hands, he declared, in a style that clearly shows he's inheritied his mother's genes: "Now I know that being a parent SUCKS!!!"

No comments: