Thursday, August 27, 2009

Love Is In The Air...At Last

In the rush to get away on holiday I forgot to update you all on a most important occurance here at Matchmaking Central. After months of anguish (that would be me), stamping feet and upturned noses (that would be them), and rivers of blood from savaged ankles (me again), Rocco and Punky Muffin are finally bonded.
An item...

....hot stuff...

...in luuuuuurrrrve!

You may recall that I thought we were well on the way to bonding them about a month after Punky arrived. She'd been through a botched spey - never ever let a vet put external stitches in a rabbit as they rip them out in seconds - so I kept her well away from Rocco while she recovered and settled in. They were happy enough to hop around the garden together and I separated them at night. Then one dreadful day he tried to hump her once too often and she flipped. Luckily I was standing close by admiring what a lovely couple I thought they made when she attacked him, he retaliated, and I fortunately managed to keep them apart by fending them off with my feet. Hence the bloody ankles. There followed a couple of months of serious time out.

I was beginning to despair when finally it happened. After days of spending just a couple of minutes a day together in neutral territory (locked in the kitchen) while they reacquainted themselves, I dared to let them loose in the garden and...nothing. He humped her, she sneered disdainfully at him before hopping off with a flippant flick of her ears. He was all "mon cherie, I vant to ravish your body and make ze muzik of lurve..." and she was all "like, whatEVER", and that was that. They were a couple.
Such are bunnies.
This might be a good time to point out that humping is about dominance in this situation; they are both desexed of course and basically whoever gets to be on top is the boss. A contentious issue if you're a feisty young thing like Punky.
However despite the age difference they are very happy together. He's a true dirty old man at 7 .5 years, the equivalent of about 75 in human terms, while she's a veritable teenager at just 18 months or so. He does have the slightly offputting habit of occasionally spraying a few drops of urine on her, a practice which while no doubt is in demand for a fetching price in certain clubs in Amsterdam, is treated by Punky with the same sneering indifference as all his displays of lapine love. He hops after her devotedly all day wanting nothing more than to be pressed against her glossy body from the tip of his furry nose to the point of his fluffy tail, whereas she frankly prefers a good dig in the sandpit to lust on the lawn.
But at least they are a couple at last.
Now if only I could convince them they aren't supposed to sneak into the kitchen every time the door opens...

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Ohh you crack me up!!