Monday, October 06, 2008

Big News ladies; A Good Hairdresser Has Been Found!


Now this posting is going to seem utterly, totally trivial to those of you who don't live here, so feel free to skip it. For any ex-pat ladies however, it's big news, so stick with me!
About six weeks ago my hairdresser, a wonderfully skilled woman from New Zealand, left Singapore to start a new life in Australia. She left behind a grieving clientele convinced they would never have a decent haircut in Singapore again. Perhaps I should explain. When you are a Caucasian based in Asia getting a haircut is an issue fraught with tension, tears, and usually loads of money. Plainly put, our hair is different to Asian hair. Their hair apparently contains a lot more protein so it is stronger, glossier and thicker, plus...it's always straight. To compound the problem of having Caucasian hair throw curls into the equation and lets just say there are plenty of stories of inexperienced hairdressers just about having to reach for the clippers to hide their mistakes. There are a few businesses catering specifically for the ex-pat market, and as one of my friends told me the other day, she wouldn't have minded paying the $300 + if her dye job had been half-way decent!
The reason I know my Kiwi hairdresser has been gone six weeks is that I need my hair cut every 5 weeks or it's just a puff ball of fluff. Curly hair frizzes in the high humidity of the tropics. Go too long without a hair cut or forget your styling lotion and by lunch time it looks like you've stuck your tongue in a wall socket. So by today, I was DESPERATE.
Before defecting to Oz my hairdresser had mentioned a chop-shop in town which had been recommended to her, so with no other choice, off I headed to Centrepoint shopping mall on Orchard Rd. At 10.30 they were just open and the place was deserted. Yes, I could get my hair cut right away, Angie had cut Ang Moh hair before. I briefly considered asking how much this was going to cost - a large glossy salon on Orchard Rd wouldn't be cheap - but swallowed my words, as I was really past thinking up a Plan B by now. Once seated the assistant, who himself sported a startling spiky cut streaked with bleached highlights, said he'd wash my hair first. OK, so far so good. However instead of leading me away to a basin he tucked a square of plastic over the collar of my blouse, draped a small towel over my shoulders then proceeded to drop a large dollop of shampoo directly onto my head. What??? Next he picked up a plastic squeezy bottle - just like the ketchup bottles you see at cafes - and squeezed warm water onto the top of my head in a steady stream while vigorously massaging the shampoo into a thick foam. He kept massaging and adding water, massaging and adding water...I was sure that at any moment I'd be drenched but he put away the bottle and went to work briskly working up a foam on top of my head, gradually bringing in more and more dry hair until finally my whole head was covered. He then proceeded to give me a ten minute scalp massage and the most thorough cleaning my hair has ever had. Not a single drop or bubble dripped off my head and by the end I looked like a snow cone, my head completely encased in a warm mass of white foam. Then it was off to the wash basins and a thorough rinse followed by another scalp massage. Bliss.
Back in the chair, Angie appeared. All 20 kilos of her. I explained what I wanted - just recreate the asymmetrical cut I've got, while she ahh-haad and nodded.
Finally she said "Ok. Unnerstand, can do. I never do this one before, but is ok." Now be honest, how many of you would have run for the door at that stage?
She then picked up a pair of thinning scissors - a new approach for me - and attacked my hair with a speed I've only seen back in New Zealand shearing sheds. As she progressed Angie became more and more excited, like an artist at her easel. "Yes! Yes!" she started to exclaim whenver she made a final adjustment. "Sorry, I very fussy, very fussy!" she kept saying and I was thinking "what more could a client wish for?"
I won't bore you with the details but less than an hour after I'd walked into the salon, I was out again with the perfect hair cut, i.e. exactly what I wanted! Brilliantly done, very professional. Pulling out my wallet I thought "here we go, brace yourself Joanne..."
The cashier murmured the price and I thought oh, $57, that's not bad. "No Ma'am, that's $37" she corrected me. What?? Unbelievable, an incredibly well priced and professional hair cut, no drama no tears...and no last minute clippers. My day just can't get any better. I should go and buy a lottery ticket.
So girls, if you want a good cut go to Jantzen Salon, #02-22 Centrepoint, Orchard Road, and make sure you ask for Angie; she works every day except Friday. The phone number is 65138805. And no they didn't pay me to promote them but they deserve it. Just don't book in for five weeks time because that's when I'll be back...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this invaluable post! My hairdresser (which wasn't that good but still - for my hair - better than the rest...) has mysteriously vanished so I was still pondering on where I should try my luck.

I chanced upon your post and followed your advice: I went to see Angie. I concur: she is impressive! Unlike many "stylists" in Singapore, she does not stupidly try to apply an "Asian" hair cut to any type of hair. She observes the hair, actually sees its qualities and flaws and understands what needs to be done and what CANNOT be done. Out within an hour with a smile on my face: this had never happened to me in 7 years in SG...

Anonymous said...

Hi i just want to know whether if male could go there for a hair cut?

Anonymous said...

Is she a good colorist too?,

Anonymous said...

Hi I recently had a haircut here in Singapore and though I am asian I dont have the striaght thin hair like most Singaporeans have. And I got it cut in a layered style(which is what i had I just wanted it shorter) and that man the hairdresser cut my hair so short and thinned my hair ( i dont want thin hair) and at the end of the ordeal I had once side longer than the other. Do u think I should go to angie for a repair haircut?

Anonymous said...

I chance upon this article by chance (some luck) and I would just like to add that Angie is just as great with guys.

I have been her regular customer for years.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

i am sorry but i dont share your good review about Angie, i went there for a cut and a colour, my hair was long, looking for someone i can trust, after reading this blog i made my appointment and went there with peace of mind........she is very friendly and helpful etc.....but my hair is a TOTAL MESS....i hate auburn, i asked for copper/bronze....i got auburn!!! not to speak about my haircut, i wanted something easy and manageable, she had a picture of exactly what i wanted but my hair is far from that......i am so dissapointed and i cant do anything, cant put my hair back!!!

SugarPlumBallerina said...

Well, to be honest I don't like the way hairstylists here in singapore roll. They seem to like thin hair a lot. and by thin I meant SUPER thin. I like full hair. It gives most women much confidence. But from what I see (well I've never tried to cut my hair in singapore, but some of my friends did) after going for a cut, the hair always turns out with much much layers, super thin, and BAD. and salons here are ridiculously priced! for a wash+cut+styling almost cost me a you Longchamp bag! ($120 plus).not going to lie, but even my singaporean friends don't like the hairstylists here. they often go to this friend of mine (she's indonesian) and she really is very good at it. All for free! sometimes they just take her for dinner in place of paying her. But for styling.. they're quite okay..

Anonymous said...

Me tried Ange most disappointed colour looks yellow and orange not chcolate and blone but this is what in expect in Sing also bad cut..:( I found a briliant Kiwi Hairdresser at Bukit timah Plaza hair.com ltd Editions, Myself and friends we are all thrilled to bits by GJ there.