Monday, March 17, 2008

Thunderstorm




If there's one thing I love it's a good thunderstorm. Fortunately we have LOTS of them here in Singapore, and in fact on a recent walking tour I did the guide claimed that Singapore is the most lightening-prone place on earth. Is it true? Who knows and really who could prove it anyway, but we do have some fantastic electric light shows. This afternoon I was working away, mindng my own business when a distant rumbling heralded the impending approach of a storm. It barely registered on the edge of my consciousness since we've become used to the sound of the condo next door being smashed to the ground in a dusty pile of rubble, nor did the first few flashes until CRACK BOOM!!!! an absolutely enormous bolt of lightening touched down nearby with an almost simultaneous roar of thunder. The floor shook and I swear my chair wobbled. That got my attention.

So I stood at the window enjoying the show for a while and it was only when things started to quieten down a bit that I thought to grab my camera and try to capture it on film. So here's a rather feeble ending to what was one of the best storms I've been in. Next time I'll be a bit quicker off the mark.


One day I'll sit down and record all the amazing lightening strike stories I've heard since living here, although they never have happy endings of course! Needless to say at the least hint of thunder I chase the kids out of the pool.

30 mins later...

WOW! That's what I call fast feedback! Thanks to Tracker who just published a comment on this post, including the following weblink: http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=1203all about lightening activity in Singapore.

The Site says: "Singapore has one of the highest rates of lightning activity in the world. Lying near the Equator, the weather is hot and humid almost all year round. Conditions are favourable for the development of lightning producing thunderstorm clouds. An average of 171 thunderstorm days (days when thunder is heard) are recorded annually in Singapore. "

1 comment:

Lenox said...

Yes it is true that Singapore has one of the most lightning activities in the world.

Check this government site for more information and confirmation.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=1203